African Americans in Cincinnati
Dr. Eric R. Jackson, St. Joseph Parrish
In 1846, land was purchased at Linn and Laurel Streets for the construction of St. Joseph Catholic Church and St. Joseph Catholic School. These facilities, located in the West End, were partly started to African Americans who sought Catholicism as their faith. However, the school was not built until 1847. By 1848 both facilities were opened and their missions and goals were combined. St. Joseph Catholic School is a member of CISE (Catholic Inner-City Education Fund), and affiliate of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.